Korean input on Kubuntu 20.04
Installed Kubuntu 20.04 LTS (KDE version of Ubuntu) on my old laptop.
Had a bit of trouble setting up Korean input so decided to share here.
I will use KDE GUI for the majority of the tasks here.
Table of Contents
- Install Korean
- Install ibus-hangul
- Configure ibus
- Autostart ibus-daemon
- Trying out Korean input
1. Install Korean
- Go to Application Launcher, and search & select "Language"
- Click on "Add languages..." button
- Select Korean (한국어) & click on "Add" button
Now Korean is available in your system so let's move on and install
ibus-hangul, which supports Korean input.
2. Install ibus-hangul
Quick and easy way is to install
ibus-hangul is via
sudo apt install ibus-hangul
Let's now configure
ibus to work with Korean next.
3. Configure ibus
- Go to Application Launcher, and search & select "Ibus Preferences"
- Go to "Input Method" tab, and click on "Add" button
- Find and select Korean (한국어) and click on "Add" button, and close the preferences dialog
You might get prompted to start
ibus-daemon when you opened "Ibus Preferences".
It's a one-off execution, so when you restart your machine, you'd need to start the
As it's a pain, let's autostart the daemon on log on.
4. Autostart ibus-daemon
- Go to Application Launcher, and search & select "Autostart"
- Click on "Add Program" button and then "Open file dialog" button
- In the "Name" field, add
/usr/bin/ibus-daemon& click "Open" button
- Click "OK" to close "Choose Application" dialog, which then opens "Properties for ibus-daemon-desktop" dialog, automatically
- Go to "Application" tab and add
-din the "Command" to start the daemon in the background.
- Save and close with "OK" button
⚠ At this point you need to restart your machine.
5. Trying out Korean input
After you restarting the machine, open up a browser and press
<Super>space to change the language to Korean.
At this point, we haven't set the default language for Korean input to be Korean. You can start using Korean after pressing
shift + space.
You can change the default keyboard binding in the preferences screen.