Introducing SHanC - A Static Hacker News CloneBroken Post? → Let me know
I read Hacker News (HN hereafter) daily. The way I read is that, I skim through titles and open 5~10 stories and actually read 2~5.
Two problems I have with HN.
- Each HN page shows 30 stories only and
- having to click on "more" for a post-back seemed too much of a pain
And I don't need real-time updates of the story.
So I created SHaNc, a Static page Hacker News clone.
I will only introduce you SHaNc in this article. Details on how it was built and problems faced while building it will be discussed in the next post.
It solves two problems mentioned above.
- Skimming through 30 pages at a time takes focus away
- Loading next page with a post-back is slow
SHaNc is a static page, which displays all stories (Best & New story pages planned), which solves both problems - loads all stories & fast (for being a static page).
A static page is by definition doesn't change. So the page is rebuilt every hour on the hour. So you will probably be at most 1 hour behind.
🤔 How about other static HN clones? 😕
There are other two awesome static HN clones.
They are fast but I still had the problem of having to load next page manually, which takes your focus away.
🏭 Tech Stack & Architecture
- GatsbyJS - a static site generator using ReactJS
- Styled Components - CSS in JS
- Netlify - deployment & Build WebHook
- Azure Functions - triggering site build via Build WebHok every hour
Hand-drawn on a piece of paper 😝.
🏃♂️ Parting Words
If you have a similar HN reading style, I hope SHaNc can help to address your problems.
Please leave a feedback, issues, suggestion on GitHub page (MIT licensed).